Patrick Henry Community College will offer its summer program, Kids College, beginning in June for rising sixth through eighth graders (unless otherwise noted). Pre-registration is required; call (276) 656-5461. When registering online, please register under the child’s name.
- A new program is Summer Theater Camp Come create, perform and discover a love for the theater with the Patriots Players in this one-week summer drama camp. Campers will put on their own production at the conclusion of camp. No prior theater experience is required.
the camp will be held June 5-9 from 9 a.m. to noon at PHCC in Martinsville. The cost is $75.
- Engineering for Girls is an engineering summer camp for girls to explore science, engineering and math through the art of making!. Armed with an understanding of math and science, a bit of engineering know-how, and boundless creativity, nothing is impossible. Girls explore the creative process and craft items that have form and function. Learn new computer tools to make creative ideas into actual designs and then use the Martinsville Fab Lab to build a final product.
Camp will meet June 5-8 from 9 a.m. until noon at the New College Institute and is for rising sixth and seventh graders. Cost is $60, snack included. Contact: Steve Keyser at (276) 403-5612 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Mini-Maker Camp is new this summer. Do you like to make things? Come create something fun in the Fab Lab! During this exciting, hands-on camp, build and race your own brushbot, learn how to solder an LED circuit board, and design your own t-shirt. Campers will be able to take home their creations at the end of camp, which meets June 12-16 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Dalton IDEA Center. The cost is $75.
- “Hablas Espanol?” Spanish Adventures Camp is another new class.
Do you like to travel? Vamonos! Go on a Spanish Adventure! Explore the language and culture of Latin America through art, food, music, and speaking en Espanol! No previous Spanish is necessary.
The camp meets June 12-16 from 9 a.m. to noon at PHCC. The cost is $75.
- Engineering for Boys: Explore different types of engineering through hands-on, team-based design projects. Rising sixth and seventh grade boys learn that armed with an understanding of math and science, a bit of engineering know-how, and boundless creativity, nothing is impossible. Boys work with engineering faculty from NCI’s Academy for Engineering and Technology to explore the engineering design process and to take these ideas beyond the abstract into real life.
The camp will run June 12-15 from 9 a.m. until noon at New College Institute. The cost is $60 and includes a snack. Contact Steve Keyser at (276) 403-5612 or email@example.com.
- Wise Up! Philosophy Camp: Do you question everything? Have you been described as a deep thinker? Then this camp is for you. Expand your brain’s abilities while exploring philosophical questions like – What is the meaning of life? What is the difference between opinion and knowledge? What is love? Discuss and reflect on these questions and more during this fun, creative camp.
Camp meets June 19-23 from 9 a.m. to noon at PHCC. The cost is $75.
- Programming your World: Coding Camp: Technology is everywhere and at the heart of it lies computer programming, strange words in what look like a foreign language, on a computer screen that give life to so many things around us. Use Arduino microcontrollers to explore how computer programming can be used to manipulate things like lights, switches, sensors, and motors.
The camp for rising sixth and seventh graders meets June 19-22 from 9 a.m. to noon at New College Institute. The cost is $60 and includes a snack. Contact Steve Keyser at (276) 403-5612 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fab Lab Innovation Camp: What happens when creativity meets technology? Find out during this fun, hands-on camp using your creativity and the Fab Lab technology including laser cutters, 3D printers, and more to make designs come to life. Campers will be able to take home their creations at the end of camp.
It meets June 19-23 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Dalton IDEA Center. Cost is $75.
- “Parlez-vous Francais?” French Adventure Camp: When you think of Paris, what do you think of? The Eiffel Tower, great food and art, n’est-ce pas (right)? Join the class for a journey into the heart of Paris to experience art, culinary delights, film and speaking en Francais! No previous French is necessary.
Camp meets June 26-30 from 9 a.m. to noon at PHCC. The cost is $75.
Call (276) 656-5461 for information or to pre-register for these classes.