The Ararat Ruritan Club recently distributed funds in its community.
Club Treasurer Kevin Smith presented Blue Ridge Elementary School Principal Jen Cox with $300 to assist in providing students with their supplies in order to help ease the cost for parents. Supplies are needed both at home and at school during the COVID-19 pandemic virtual education practices.
Club Secretary Pamela Smith presented 2020 Patrick County High School graduate Maranda Cox with a $500 scholarship. Cox, a Blue Ridge Elementary School alumnus, is attending Patrick Henry Community College.
The Ararat Ruritan Club was formed in 1953 and its fundraisers were halted in March amidst the governmental shut-down of social gatherings. The club has several upcoming events planned:
- “Vendor Blendor” – Saturday, October 3, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.;
- Annual BBQ Dinner – Saturday, October 10, from noon until 6 p.m. or until the BBQ runs out. Due to COVID-19 regulations, plates this year will be offered “TO-GO” only. Delivery can be arranged by calling (276) 229-6931 to pre-order;
- Blood-Drive – Tuesday, November 17, from 2 to 7 p.m.;
- $1,000 cash Give-Away – Saturday, December 5, $10 per ticket/donation, only 300 tickets will be sold;
- Holiday Bazaar “12 Tables of Christmas,” December 12, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Club will be offering FREE Christmas Wrapping on dates to be announced.
The Ararat Ruritan Club meets on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. The meeting is open, and guests are welcome to join in the meeting and become involved in our community.