Mark Wright, Pastor
New Beginnings Baptist Church
I would like to share a passage of scripture concerning God’s revelation to mankind.
“We have also a more a sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (II Peter 1:19-21)
This scripture of course pertains to God’s written word for mankind. When man fell in the Garden he had to approach God through an animal sacrifice in the Old Testament and now in the New Testament through the sacrifice of Christ only.
There are five important points concerning God’s revelation to mankind. And some are even prior to his written word, (The Bible).
The first one is:
• Revelation: The Greek word is Apokalupsis, which we get our word apocalypse or unveiling from.
• General revelation: three important things.
• Conscience: In general everyone knows deep down there is a God and the difference between right and wrong.
• Nature: Humanity has been enlightened by the heavens at night and the nature around us.
• History: God has ordained from history some ancient nations have ceased existence because of their wickedness, others have remained, and others have came from almost total annihilation .example (the nation of Israel);
• Special Revelation: God reveals himself to specific people and in a specific time and place. It takes 4 things: example (Phillip and the Ethiopian Eunuch, Acts 8:26-40);
The Holy Spirit and His direction, A willing disciple (Phillip), The word of God being read by the (eunuch), The willing open heart of the (eunuch). Salvation came to the Ethiopian eunuch that day.
Read Romans 10:13-15.
Inspiration means (God breathed): “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.(II Timothy 3:16-17).
This has to do with the written word of God. It took 1,500 years and 40 men to write His love letter to mankind (The Bible).
Interpretation means (To set forth the meaning of or to explain of a subject). It is the Holy Spirit the author of God’s word that brings understanding to the believing body of individuals—for example (the Church or Body of Christ).
Illumination means (This means to be enlightened). This is personal knowledge given by God through His word and His Spirit after the believer has received it and obeyed. I think this is where the personal discipleship gets to a fine line with God and he/she knows His will in everyday Spiritual guidance and discernment, read (Psalms 119:105).
Illustration means (The Gospel in shoe leather). This point is one of my own points God gave me years ago. “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven”( Matthew 5:16), also read (Philippians 2:12b-13, James 2:18)
After we talk it (tell the Gospel) we then must walk it (live the Gospel)! If you’re not a born again believer, turn from your sin and trust Christ today before it is eternally too late! Heaven or Hell? God bless you and God go with you! Amen!