The Patrick County Chamber of Commerce, in conjunction with the Patrick Soil and Water Conservation District, the county of Patrick, the town of Stuart, the Patrick County Sheriff’s Office, the Dan River Basin Association, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, present the 11th annual communitywide litter pick-up during May.
“Pick up Patrick County” is a self-directed effort to encourage citizens to help enhance the natural beauty of the county and its communities, as they join local businesses, civic clubs, churches, scouts and other organizations to beautify the county.
The groups encourage everyone to collect litter surrounding their own business, church, organization and home.
“Spring and summer are when we have a large number of visitors in our county,” said Tim Collins, chamber director. “This effort will truly make a difference in the appearance of our community and encourage visitors to come again.”
Key points of litter clean-up are:
• Be responsible for your own trash; put it in the proper place.
• Think about what you are doing (or not doing) to keep the county beautiful.
• Take pride in your surroundings; keep the area where you life and work clean.
• Recycle whenever possible.
• Encourage others; try to involve your own family, your church, your business, and your civic clubs.
• Start now to clean up the environment.
• Be safe. Use caution when working along the roadsides. The use of orange vests is highly recommended.