A Stuart man was arrested after a vehicle pursuit with deputies Friday afternoon, according to Sheriff Dan Smith. Pierre Quartez Scales, 26, is being held on charges of felony eluding a law enforcement officer, reckless driving, two counts of driving on a revoked license and failure to appear.
The pursuit began at approximately 4:32 p.m. when Deputy Oscar Tejeda attempted to pull over a gray Ford Focus near On The Run in Stuart. Tejeda identified Scales as the driver and had knowledge that Scales was wanted on two outstanding warrants.
The sheriff said Scales refused to stop after Tejeda activated his blue lights and siren. The pursuit eventually led to US Rt. 58 where Lt. Rob Coleman and Major Garry Brown became involved.
Scales reached speeds in excess of 80 MPH as he passed the hospital, according to the sheriff. The suspect slowed to approximately 45 MPH as he approached the red light at the WalMart intersection.
Smith said that the deputies attempted to box the suspect in before reaching the intersection, at which time Scales cut into Major Brown’s patrol car, and then made contact with Lt. Coleman’s vehicle.
Smith said, at that point, Lt. Coleman made the decision to end the pursuit by conducting a pit maneuver, forcing the suspect’s vehicle into the median. Scales was subsequently taken into custody. The Sheriff said that deputies receive specialized training in executing the pit maneuver with the goal of ending motor vehicle pursuits.
“We are simply not going to allow a dangerous pursuit to continue, we will remove the suspect from the highway if compliance is not achieved,” Smith said. He added that deputies are trained to use the pit maneuver as soon as a safe opportunity is presented, and many safety factors are taken into consideration prior to execution.
Approximately $8,000 in damage was sustained on the patrol vehicles. No one was injured. State Trooper Andy Roberts investigated the traffic crash. The investigation is continuing, and more charges may be forthcoming. Scales was arrested by Tejeda and is being held without bond in the Patrick County Jail.
Sheriff Dan Smith also reported the following arrests:
• Tabitha Dawn Foley, 42, of Stuart, was arrested Oct. 24 for shoplifting: concealing goods valued at less than $200, third offense.
Deputy M.T. Rorrer made the arrest.
• Tina Marie Teague, 47, of Stuart, was arrested Oct. 24 for probation violation.
Lt. Mark Sowder made the arrest.
• Robby Glenn Grona, 23, of Patrick Springs, was arrested Oct. 24 for revocation of suspended sentence and probation.
Lt. Mark Sowder made the arrest.
• Aaron Thomas Worley, 36, of Claudville, was arrested Oct. 24 for probation violation.
Roanoke County made the arrest for Patrick County.
• Billy Joe Smith Jr., 35, of Patrick Springs, was arrested Oct. 24 for failure to appear.
Deputy Pickerel made the arrest for Franklin County.
• Emily Ann Church, 21, of Ridgeway, was arrested Oct. 25 for shoplifting: concealing goods valued at $200 or more and for possession of marijuana, first offense.
On the shoplifting charge, Deputy Roger Bell made the arrest. On the marijuana possession charge, Sgt. Matt Holland made the arrest for Henry County.
• Sara Ann Scott, 26, of Stuart, was arrested Oct. 25 for capias: failure to appear.
Deputy Tejeda made the arrest.
• Brandon Duane Belton, 29, of Madison, N.C., was arrested Oct. 25 for grand larceny stealing property greater than $200, not from person.
Deputy Cole Newman made the arrest.
• Darnell LaShawn Salda, 31, of Martinsville, was arrested Oct. 26 for intentional damage to a monument, value less than $1,000, strangling another causing wounding or injury, and assault on a family member.
Deputy Emily Harris made the arrest.
• Summer Nicole Collins, 29, of Stuart, was arrested Oct. 26 for probation violation.
Deputy Kruse made the arrest.
• Marianna Elizabeth Lopez, 23, of Stuart, was arrested Oct. 27 for failure to appear for counsel hearing.
Deputy Carroll made the arrest.
• Ruth Alice Bushnell, 57, of Woolwine, was arrested Oct. 27 for two counts of bad check: larceny less than $200.
Deputy Dustin Dillon made the arrest.
• Terry Lynn Manning Jr., 32, of Roanoke, was arrested Oct. 27 for driving with a revoked/suspended license, third-plus offense.
Deputy Keffer made the arrest.
• Joseph Richard Singleton, 28, of Bassett, was arrested Oct. 30 for revocation of probation on two counts.
Sergeant Holland made the arrest for Buchanan County.
• William David Hylton, 45, of Stuart, was arrested Oct. 30 for assault and battery; and strangling another causing wounding or injury.
Deputy Meredith made the arrest.