Surry Community College will be offering the following free workshops for unemployed and underemployed workers in August. No pre-registration is required.
- An Employability Lab will be open Monday through Thursday, August 14 through December7 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the NCWorks Career Center, 541 West Pine St., Mount Airy, N.C. The lab will also be open Tuesday, August 15 from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. at Goodwill Career Connections, 1457 N. Bridge St., Elkin, N.C. Employability specialists will be available in the computer lab to help participants register and use NCWorks to create a resume and cover letter and apply for jobs.
- The Totally Responsible Person Program will be offered August 15 from 9:30 a.m. to noon at Goodwill Career Connections, 1457 N. Bridge St., Elkin. This program includes topics such as choosing to take charge and stay positive, becoming a “Totally Responsible Person” and creating an action plan. Call (336) 526-2144 for more information.
- Creating an Impressive Resume will be offered on August 15 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the NCWorks Career Center, 541 West Pine St., Mount Airy. Create an impressive resume and cover letter. Learn resume dos and don’ts, how to address background and work history issues, and tips specific for navigating the online application process. Receive assistance with creating resumes and cover letters in the NCWorks database.
- Dynamic Interview Techniques will be offered on August 22 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the NCWorks Career Center, 541 West Pine St., Mount Airy. Learn the ins and outs of the interview process from preparing beforehand to what to do after. Gain valuable insight on popular interview questions, what a potential employer cannot ask, what to wear to an interview, and how to address questions related to having a criminal record, age, and other barriers to employment.
- All Things NCWorks will be offered on August 29 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the NCWorks Career Center, 541 West Pine St., Mount Airy. Put North Carolina’s job listing website to work. Find job interests, create resumes and cover letters, access free online skills training, search for jobs in every county in North Carolina, discover employment and wage data, and gain valuable information from this website that is much more than a list of jobs.
For information about any of the human resources development workshops, contact Forrest Lineberry at (336) 386-3244 or firstname.lastname@example.org.